Tuesday, February 12, 2008

On the Bright Side...

I am feeling so much better. And my pear branches blossomed beautifully. You are seeing them in their last stages but oh, they were simply gorgeous. I also forced some lilacs and they were splendid as well, but they are quite finished. If you have never forced branches before you should give it a go. Easy peasy, and most satisfying. Martha will teach you.
Why didn't anyone tell me sewing was fun? This is an idea I have had in my head for oh, say, 10 or 15 years. Maybe I read about it in a magazine but now that I have a sewing machine, voila! I am constantly tidying up my night table that has piled books, phone, clock, tissue box, converter, pictures, some carnations in a vase, where are you suppose to put all this stuff? Well, in this little bedside pocket of course! Oh so basic. Long embroidered cloth, folded over and sewn. Tuck in between the mattresses and there's your pocket. Stick your water bottle, converter, book, whatever. This one may stay in DN2's bedroom. Or it is just too cute and will go in mine.

See how easy? Go make one, you will love it.



And, since I was changing the beds anyhow, I thought you might like to see how the rippling is doing. Fine, thank you. And can you see? It's foldable.







PS. Please ignore my hands in the camera with the branches. I so did not see that until I went to write the post.

16 comments:

Leigh said...

Gorgeous post! SO snuggly and pretty!!

Knitty, Vintage and Rosy said...

Leigh:

Can you tell I am desperate for colour and flowers?

;)

Lisa

Amongst The Oaks said...

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the bedside bag. I have lots of old linens from Grandmother. I think I'll make one of those too. I always seem to have books, glasses, etc on my bedside table and it does look messy.
Hugs, Laura from Amongst The Oaks

Elizabeth said...

Very cool idea, you SewGirl you.
Btw, I think I told you it was easy!

julia said...

I love that ripple blanket. I can sew but not knit, it's on my list of things to do this year, along with learn the piano, dressmaking, cookery courses etc, etc.!
How I envy the snow in your last post, we never get snow like that in the UK any more and I really miss it.
Julia xx

Vee said...

Oh that is brilliant! The pocket for the bedside and it just so happens that I have a number of vintage pillow cases that are too small for today's pillows. Thank you for posting it. Yours is so sweet!

Anonymous said...

I was directed here from the CRAFT blog, and I just wanted to say I love this little bedside pocket! Such a cute idea.

Vee said...

Congrats on the submisson to Craftzine. (I had to go check what that was since I'd never heard of it.) It's a super idea and I know that lots of people will enjoy it. Robin hints that it may not work, but, so far, it's hanging in there really well. Now I'm thinking how difficult it would be to make a double one that would extend all the way under the mattress to the other side. Now THAT couldn't go anywhere! :)

Knitty, Vintage and Rosy said...

Thanks for the compliments on the bedside pocket/organizer, girls.

Vee, it does seem to be working well. It has a big, fat James Herriot book in it right now along with the converter. Yours is splendid though, it probably holds double more than mine.

;)
Lisa

Knitting Mania said...

Oh my goodness...I just found your most amazing blog this morning...I just love your look and subjects, love all the shabby chic look too!

I love to knit and the vintage look, can you recomment any other blogs that deal with knitting???

I will be back.....

Knitty, Vintage and Rosy said...

Knitting Mania:
Thanks for the comments! I am blushing ;)

There are many blogs on my blog list that knit and/or crochet.

Check out Bella Dia, Posie Gets Cozy, most of them actually do one or the other.

So happy you have come to visit,

Lisa xo

Posy said...

Hi Lisa!
I really love your embroidered bed pocket, really, really love it. Would you mind if I made one myself? If I do and blog about it I will definitely give you the credit. I've got quite a few embroideries - can you tell how excited I am...thank you for such inspiration.
J x

vintage-rose Cottage said...

hi,i love your Quilt..i have a lot ofrose Quilt and it´s so nice and in the summer i used the quilt in the garden:O)
Beinda from Rose Cottage

a woman who is said...

Hello there! My sister on Knitting Mania, pointed me in your direction, and I think Vee too. I saw your embroidered bedside pocket on her blog. I have tons of old embroidered linens, my sis and I yard saled them in the 80's. I have a messy night stand. This is my answer! I also love your garden window sill. Seems like your getting both my sister's and my attention on your different hobbies. I love the ripple afghan too. It’s more my style of yarnnin. I think I just made up a word :] She is the real knitter, I just put my orders in! I can only crochet a scarf and the ripple stitch!

Lajoni said...

Absolutely love your bedside pocket and am going to try and make one...but how is it kept in place?
Thanks

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.